For those of you looking for a fun day trip outside of Naples, you have to check out Zoo Tampa at Lowry Park! It is only about a 2.5 hour drive up I-75 from Naples, FL.
They are open from 9:30PM – 5:00PM, 7 days a week.
Special hours during Spring Break.
Closed on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
After a recent trip, here are the top 5 things to know:
1. For the cost of admission for one day for a family of five, it was worth spending a little extra to get the annual pass. You can go back all year and play! Plus, with a membership comes all sorts of perks—including discounts on animal encounters, photos, and discounts at shops/food vendors throughout the park.
2. They have RIDES – a roller coaster, a train, flying bananas, and our favorite: Splash Falls! That is a GREAT way to cool off while visiting on those warm days. (*Heads up – when we went in February most of the rides were closed for annual maintenance. Check the website or call to see if any maintenance is still in process.) The park also includes several splash pads and a giant play structure for kids to burn off energy. Might want to pack a couple of beach towels and a change of clothes.
3. They have multiple up-close animal and backstage encounters & feeding experiences available to book including a Giant Tortoise, Southern White Rhino, Indian Rhino, Lorikeets, Manatees, African Elephant, African Penguin, Koalas and Giraffes!
4. The zoo provides tons of opportunities to learn about the animals in all areas throughout the day at specific times through the Wildlife Connections programs. These are included in the cost of admission. They also offer a family scavenger hunt program through an app you can download before your visit to make the trip more interactive!
5. Meals are easy with at least 10 different places throughout the zoo to eat meals and grab snacks or cool treats. Small, soft side coolers are allowed in the park so that you can pack some drinks of your own to stay hydrated. Restaurants offer allergy friendly menu options upon request as well!
About the Author
Tracy Houston is a busy mom of three (two boys and one girl) and married to the BEST chef in Naples who happens to be the Executive Chef Partner at The Capital Grille. She owns Let Me Be Candid Photography and promises to take photos of you and your family as if she was capturing her OWN family. She also loves sharing fun things to do for families by promoting www.NaplesKidz.com